Monday, July 20, 2009

Eastward ho!



it was a busy day indeed...old duckie and I got to chirp at prairie dogs, gawk at the fellow lemmings at Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Devil's Mountain, bump into a fellow West Virginian and sadly suffer a bird-strike to the faceshield. South Dakota crosswinds are mean stuff, my neck had been holding up quite well (esp after Bozeman) but a spanking it got as we blasted down I90 eastbound. There was not much relief but try as I might, found no magic elixir at Wall Drug either. I got into Mitchell just as we caught up with the storm, rather late into the evening. The treat was that I did get to enjoy yet another sunset in the rear-view mirror. Turns out Mitchell has claims to fame beyond the Corn Palace and while the modern-day truck-trailer building business has been hit hard by the economy, the other, a box-building company, seems to be thriving. I split pizzas with a few other fellas at the bar as we contemplate nothing of particular importance. Not a bad way to end a day. Tomorrow...Madison, a swing by Oz (East Troy, home of Buell) and maybe take in some sights. The 'plan' (ha) is to take the ferry over to Michigan and head toward Mansfield from there to hook up with Wes and Ed.




View trip log in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment