Saturday, July 18, 2009

Valley of the Goblins


hung out with the goblins last night. I decide to forego southern Colorado ...Durango, Silverton in order to allow some 'oops' time in the coming week. This morning, an oil change in Grand Junction, CO. Not nearly as much fun. The service manager, Tracey (?) is a stickler for processes, she'd make a great ISO boss. Some idle chit-chat with other service department hostages and then it on for a day-trip through Colorado. Got to dance with the Colorado river on the way to its headwaters, sometimes at 90mph and other times at 19. At West Glenwood over brisket, I punt on the Maroon Bells as well, urgh. For the first time I'm on a national road familiar from back home; first it is I70W from Green River, Ut and later US40 after I get off another chunk of scenic gravel (Co-1). The dirt road peaks out at a little over 9900 feet as I cross the continental divide in Colorado. I think I've crossed it like a half dozen times now.. a couple of times each in Canada, Montana, Wyoming and now Colorado. Went past a stretch of recently burned forest with new life already taking hold. Wonderful stuff. A short break in Granby for some rocky road, birch beer and map consultation with a view of the rockies is reward enough eh? But wait, top that off with a sprint (yes) up 125 north toward Laramie, Wy and it'd be hard to ignore as nothing less than a slice of motorcycle heaven. Just keep an eye out for the trout fishermen (uhm fisher-people?)

No significant conversations today, for the most part it was me and my thoughts. Here's one particularly worthless one: Tar snakes can snap at you when heated unlike cow pies that dry out and just lay benignly.

No comments:

Post a Comment