Sunday, October 10, 2010

yesterday, today, tomorrow....

a bit of catch-up here.....yesterday was only very slightly productive(!). Got laundry done, headed out to Henderson and squared-away the storage unit...managed to fingerprint myself. Spent more time than I prolly should've in bed. Lunch at KJs, dinner at Penang. Neither was particularly spectacular.

Woke up this morning and headed out to the dunes with the folk from Sunbuggy. Our guide, Sergio take a group of us tromping through the sand, washes and whop-de-dos. Awesome fun. This could be a place to test the DVR, they say they've tried it but the sand kills the machines and the never seem to last more than 2-3 runs.

Head back to the speedway on the Uly to check out the Porsches. Lunch at the Taco truck. Next time beef...not pollo for my soft-shell. YUM. Took a short spin out to Red Rocks Conservation Area....some girl told me that was the place to go for curvy canyon roads....trudat.....excepting my little fubarb about going when the touristas are about. Still, a very pretty jaunt within minutes of Vegas. Teeny tiny dose of rocks if you will.....

Got back to my hotel to discover they've checked me out....pleading doesn't help. I'm not happy with the folk at the front desk, it was obvious they erred. Being booted out of hotels seems to be theme...bleh but what to do?

Anyway, it is 330pm, I've a ticket to a show at the MGM at 700pm and there were few sub $300/night rooms that weren't in Henderson or Summerlin. So I type this from the Hooter's hotel....kinda scary but it is directly across the street from the MGM and I had enough time to switch hotels, get a shower, run across the street to get my ticket and grab dinner.

Chow came from a rather posh-looking 'Seablue' where the grub was quite tasty (it must take effort to screw up Paella) and over the Muzak I heard George Michael crooning 'Father Figure'....I remember when I first came to Morgantown how the classic rock station dominated the airwaves. Having learned that this was because of the demographic with the disposable income helped make sense of all that 70s pop I heard. Does this mean that today's equivalent are those who frame music from the early 80s with nostalgia?

So Ka was my first Cirque de Soleil show. What a treat, everything from the music, dance, stage (yes, stage) was quite fantastic. Worth the price of admission...oBTW, tix4less will get you 30% off...on 'day of'.

Sunday has the 'end of vacation' quality....all the more serious with calls to/from work. Ah well, all good things must come to an end. Stash the bike, a little more fun, quick bite at my one trip to a buffet (to the musical stylings of Boy George) and it is time to fly

"People keep asking where I'm from, been here 25 years....from Italy...got laid off from Lockheed Martin...aerospace industry you know"

"had fun tonight?......anywhere else?....massage parlor?"

"she wants to work 7 days a week!.... all we eat is rice and fish"

"you know Sadies? are you from Albuquerque?"

"life's different here, a man should be in charge of his family.....you know?"

"not a good night for a ride eh?"

"sorry we're all sold out"

"if you eat all of it, I'll buy you dinner"

"bueno....."



It's been fun:
  • people watching 'everywhere'
  • chowing down on Vegas eats
  • chatting with cabbies

No comments:

Post a Comment