Sunday, October 3, 2010

soo...

I called up Martin, my intrepid bike shipper....asked him how he felt about meeting up late Sunday or Monday....why? Well I was going road-trippin' while awaitin' his arrival. Yesterday's scare but a faint memory (sometimes getting old has its perks), I trundled out toward Cortez, Co. Along the way I saw a pillion rider with a HD of Malaysia shirt on....of course, like the gumbah I ask them at a stop light. Turns it out it is just a brother-or-in-law-or something like that. Bikers are funny, even if they're driving identity-less silver Camry's about. I tried calling Cheryl to see if she had Kathy's number for recommendations about Cortez. No luck. I ship my loot (from Larry and the lady at the Zuni co-op) home in Cuba, NM. I swallow my second #9 burrito from Golden Pride for lunch somewhere around Bloomfield. I pull over for a quick break (pee) and run into the local watering hole; perhaps the DUI billboards had reason for not being subtle....


Wandering into Shiprock, I'm amazed by the number of compressor rental stores, 'fracking' is a big deal in these parts. No rentals this day though as in minutes I run smack dab into a bonafide traffic jam. I kid you not. You have to take into consideration where I was..... turns out the Northern Navajo Fair was going on.....lamb and kneeling bread...appear popular but I did not partake (should have!); this afternoon 'destination' won over 'journey'.

Mesa Verde (it is quit green) comes over the bough and my visit takes on a Griswold-esque quality. Racing fellow touristas from one scenic overlook to the next was oddly entertaining. Mesa Verde is beautiful though (including the charred sections) and though I'm a little sad about missing my tour, the string of post-card views trigger a dejavu much like the one I had when first visiting Central Park. Soaking up sunsets is vying to top chasing trains as my favorite sure-thing-fun-thing.

Durango is all-sold-out. I'm getting used to this lack of lodging aspect to the trip. My handy-dandy Lonely Planet suggest Days End where I meet Mike. He tells me getting on his bike saved his life after losing his daughter back in 95. He's naturally frank without being overbearing, an easy guy to like.

Dinner in the slightly yuppified 'East by Southwest' where I sit alongside sisters from the MsBehavinDivas motorcycle club from ABQ. They're treating one of the girls to a pamper prior to being re-deployed to Kosovo (from the 'other' sandbox). I've commented on how good it is to see more women at the controls of their bikes and these women are a fine example. Funny I did not get names....professions I did. Something about our culture. One fire-chief, a golf-pro, an MP and an entrepreneur. Funny my comments on Golden Pride and Sadie's made them think I was from ABQ.....

Sushi is good, wasabe not-timid, the 1554 stout...well not quite. The 400lb Monkey from Left Hand Brewing Co, well ....was no Dale's but quite ok given my raucous party!

Another good day.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment