Tuesday, October 5, 2010

two-fer

so, this is a bit of a scatterbrained catch-up. What is it when you have to block out a section of time in the day that you 'suspend life' so that you can catch up on a blog? Sad eh?

So let's see. Left Durango without really spending much time in it. The hilarious MsBehavinDivas now a faint memory, I wander down to College (something) for breakfast. Yummy eats, good breakfast. Met a couple from Wyoming who were in for the Cowboy Poets event last night. I was kinda bummed about the missed-date for Hotclub that I blew past the Poetry-fest. Got to pay a little closer attention to the things that don't scream so loud. Little the did the poor folk know that I was teasing their puppy just before I came in for breakfast.....my secret.

Took the scenic route 'home' through the Southern Ute reservation. There were a number of times I thought the Camry wasn't going to make it. Stopped to help a fella and his wife who had a flat..... just careful enough to be helpful but not threaten the masculinity gene ya know? I was going to try to hold out for Sadies but couldn't and so consumed some Tamales in Cuba. OK but I feel a little snobbery creeping in.

Met Martin, got bike. He took off, I took in the evening glow at the balloon fest. Quite the sight indeed. Dinner at Denny's with Martin; his story Zambia, women's rights. Next morning the rental car is dispatched, I buy my new tire but can't get installed there....so I'm at Thunderbird HD practically begging to get my tire mounted. You see, I didn't buy it here.....liability and all that you know. With two hours to kill, I wander out in search of caffeine and vittles. I run across Marlene's roach-coach (roach-RV actually) and put an order in for a breakfast burrito. Yummy burrito partially dispatched a BIG happy dude strolls up and strikes up a conversation. Upon discovering my newbie-ness I'm told to try the Frito Pie, which the following mexican fella seconds. Actually he thrusts his pie in my face and pretty much seals the deal and the next course is ordered. Turns out pie-thruster dude has a Vietnamese girlfriend who doesn't cook Mexican and so here at Marlene's is where he gets his pie-fix. We chat about food, motorcycles, workaholics and hoarders.....all in a span of a taco. More people show up and everyone seems to not mind chatting with the happy round asian. There's the fella who used to work at Motorola across the street (they're gone), the girl he hadn't seen in a dozen years (who still owes him tamales), another girl who'd actually been Morgantown, the fella going to the String Cheese /Phish / YMSB show in Denver.





Bike resoled, we head out to Gallup and north to Chinle, Az and took a quick tour around south rim, head back to a hotel room before it storms (which it didn't) .

Met Ronnie and we talk the place closed. Dinner was a lamb stew.....quite good actually. Booked a jeep tour for the morning.

Pooped.

That sliver of 'no rain' in this morning's weather channel forecast? Found it!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment