Wednesday, October 6, 2010

hunkered down

in Tuba City today. Sitting at 4-corners yesterday (on the phone with the shop), I had the opportunity to survey the grey skies around me. Yesterday's sliver of sunshine has vaporized, so despite the challenging news from home, I wasn't particularly eager to tickle the rain-swollen clouds. Jim hadn't scored tickets to the Phish show, the skies westward appeared the least menacing so guess which direction I fled?! It all seemed like a great idea.... for forty miles. Turns out, Arizona was about to be treated to a storm to make the Weather Channel folks jump for joy. Well, lightning storms are spectacular on TV and downright majestic in real-life. Rolling down the road without a Faraday cage though, made for a bone chilling experience as each lightning strike vibrated up the handlebars. (i swiped the pic from accuweather....same storm)

Well, I pulled into Tuba City soaking like a drowned rat and secured a room at the Hopi run Moenkopi Hotel. A couple in Harley shirts ahead of me looked over with pity as I stood in my personal-puddle, tonight they were in their Suburban. Tomorrow's weather promised an encore performance and I stayed on...albeit now booted to the deluxe suite.

Next day I wandered around a little in the afternoon. Like Chinle, begging dogs abound. The receptionist had guided me to a movie theater but alas it was no more. Picking between Subway and Chinese takeout, I opted for the latter. This was just a slightly surreal experience. Previously I had wondered about how new proprietors of Chinese takeouts in WV felt....well.....I wonder if opening one up on a reservation is any more bizarre. I wonder why I even wonder....just like the regulars at the takeout in Harrisville, WV....the regulars here cycle in-and-out. Ain't assimilation great?

Tuba City is some fringe of your typical American small town....pre-WallyWorld to be certain. Yesterday at Canyon de Chelly, I really felt a twinge of the same feeling as when I saw the kids in Rio deJaneiro. I want to believe there's hope, it just seemed bleak. Sally hanging out with her family while they entertained the tourists....well, perhaps they've the last laugh. One thing Sally said though, people used to be friendly, helpful. The arrival of the government check though seemed to change the people. Now favors and helpful gestures have a price attached. What is it said about good intentions?

The lackadaisical attitude though certainly makes me feel like an impatient yankee. Here, 'Indian time' is not dissimilar to 'Island time'...haha!

Sunset in the painted desert....

No comments:

Post a Comment